AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New proposed livestock laws in Iowa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

bgunzy
Posted 4/23/2007 23:40 (#141406 - in reply to #140871)
Subject: RE: Whoa there

Humeston, IA

NEMOScott - 4/22/2007 22:36 Maybe I'm not making myself clear on this: These "health" ordinances are going to put people like us out of business, not the Cargil's or Smithfields. They could buy half a county for a setback zone if they had to. I can't afford to buy the neighbors house to feed cattle again. More than likely, it will just push livestock into places that they are welcomed (like Brazil).  Scott

I oftentimes wonder if we do have enough regulation in the livestock industry at the present time; let it go for a few years and see what happens.

For example, new hog buildings in Iowa are being built at a capacity JUST under the threshhold for setbacks and greater regulation.  Are they skirting the law?  No, just working around it.  They're playing by the rules that were set forth.  And nothing discourages the players when the rules are changed in mid-stream, with updated regulations.

I don't know what is the right answer; if people would be good neighbors to each other then we wouldn't have these problems.  Part of the problem lies in that the "neighbors" are faceless corporations with boardrooms hundreds of miles away.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)