AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New proposed livestock laws in Iowa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

NEMOScott
Posted 4/16/2007 10:47 (#137762 - in reply to #137546)
Subject: Sorry you feel that way

Callao, Missouri
But you need to realize that there are interests behind local control that are aiming to put you out of business as well. One piece at a time, we are losing our ability to produce food in the most efficient way possible. Help me understand your problem with your neighbor:

Is it his size? Are you envious of the larger numbers? You mentioned that "he lives 15 miles away and just owns the facility". Do you have any business interests 15 miles away? A job? Land to farm? Or how about stocks/bonds? Do you think anyone harbors any resentment for you for maintaining these things?

So he built 1/4 of mile from you? Which direction? Do you think that your quality of life has been degraded from this? Surely you don't notice any additional smell since you and your other neighbor both have hogs?

I realize that you feel upset that he broke the county rules. But in our county, if YOU fed your pigs to finish, you would have to be over 1/4 of a mile from a neighbor as well. Would you abide by my county regulations, or do what is necessary to maintain a profit and feed your family? By the way, you would also have to pay a $1000 application fee and post a $10,000 bond (for 300-1000 animal units).

How did the circo transmit from his confinement hogs to your hogs? I'm not a hog person, so I don't quite understand the bio-security requirements for hogs. What I do know is that bio-security is YOUR responsibility, accountability starts with those who need it most. If someone requires a considerable isolation distance, don't you think that it should be their responsibility to obtain it? I would compare it to demanding the county to build me a personal 1/2 mile drive so I won't be bothered by traffic.

I don't mean to come across as a jerk, but we need to stand together on this. The Humane Society of the United States had a gross revenue of over 200 million last year (check the last National Cattlemen's magazine for exact numbers). These groups have enough money to influence almost anyone "on the fence".
It sickens me that farmers can't come to an agreement on this--- SUPPORT AGRICULTURE!--- Be it corporate or subsistence, share crop or cash rent, we are all doing the same thing. Someday your kids may want to farm as well. Will you expand or tell the kids that it can't be done because we all let these regulations ship livestock production overseas? Time will tell.

Sorry for the rant

Scott
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)