AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New proposed livestock laws in Iowa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Kooiker
Posted 4/17/2007 23:01 (#138595 - in reply to #138353)
Subject: Did you really read it all?

If you did I am impressed.

I read most of it. Its kind of hard to follow and was definately written by a lawyer. Start reading at line 34-25. I believe that as it is written it would apply only to sites built or expanded after the law takes effect. However it is still not right!

If I built a building after the law took effect and 2 yrs later someone built a house 500 ft away. I would no longer meet the separation distance and would have to shut down.

Here is a cut and past from the Iowa Farm Bureau website.

"In the House, HF 873 (formerly HSB 267) passed out of committee. The measure increases separation distances for livestock facilities from residences, businesses, churches, etc. to 1,320 feet, 2,640 feet and one mile, depending upon the size of the operation. The measure also would require existing livestock farms to adhere to the new separation distances. Also, separation distances would be established from platted housing developments. If an area is platted after a livestock barn is built and the barn cannot meet the separation distances, it would be out of compliance and have to shut down."

I realize that you probably don't trust IFBF, but I don't trust Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement (ICCI or what I refer to them as ICKY) either.

These new laws wouldn't have changed anything in the case of Jack DeCoster. The only thing to do in a situation like that is throw the him and all of his partners in jail and sell all of there assets to help cover the cost of keeping them in jail.

Its kind of like gun control, law abiding citizens are the ones that are affected the most.

Also FYI: the hogs that I feed are owned by my father, brother and myself. I am not a servant to a corporation and neither is anyone who feeds for a large corporation.
A person feeding hogs for a corporation is being compensated for their labor, management and equity.

It is not a factory it is a farm. Most CAFO's are owned by either an individual or a family corporation.

As for your stance on CAFO versus the alternative. I am guessing that you are talking something along the lines of Niman Ranch hogs in Hoop buildings. Guess what , Hoop buildings stink too. My dad has 2 38x65 hoops with 200 hd/building. Those things stink worse than a 2000 hd building. The pictures that are always shown with pigs on nice clean straw were taken soon after the pigs were placed in the building. Go take a look after they've been in there 16 weeks and see what it looks and smells like.

If you compare a site with a capacity of 4000 hd versus 10 sites with 400 hd capacities in hoop building or old chicken coops, converted cattlesheds etc, you will find: The 4000 hd site has total containment and application of all urine and feces. The 400 hd sites probably haul all the manure they have but how much of the urine soaked away into the ground? Hoop buildings usually have dirt floors, converted builings usually have a cement floor that the manure runs off of onto dirt. The 4000 hd site has a MMP that has to be followed. The 400 hd sites can do pretty much whatever they please.

Sorry this rant got a little long. I kind of strikes close to home though.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)