AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New proposed livestock laws in Iowa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

bgunzy
Posted 4/20/2007 08:45 (#139845 - in reply to #138743)
Subject: Whoa there

Humeston, IA

NEMOScott writes: "I'm sorry BGunzy, but you have a misconception of what it takes for people like me to enter the industry. Do you live well (with things like air conditioning, electricity, a car....maybe cable tv)? What is your gross income compared to your net income?"

Hey, I'm a 34 yo beginning farmer myself, trying to make it on 930 acres of row crops and a seed/feed/service business.  My feed business depends on livestock, primarily cow-calf operations, but also feedlots.  My corn goes to Premium Standard Farms and soybeans go to Cargill.  I know EXACTLY what it is like for people like you to enter the industry, because I am one of them.

Let me say it again - I am not for getting rid of livestock agriculture in the US.  That would be ridiculous and stupid.

What I am saying is that because of some bad apples in the industry, the whole group has gotten a black eye, and therefore laws (good or bad) have come down on all of us.

I don't support groups like ICCI, PETA, Humane Society, etc - they are pretty much ignorant nutjobs.

But, I also think the livestock industry has not done as good of a job of policing itself in certain situations, and these problems can be exacerbated when the facilities get larger and the owners are further removed.

BTW, I don't have cable or dish - just 3 channels through the rabbit ears.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)