AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New proposed livestock laws in Iowa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

bgunzy
Posted 4/17/2007 14:05 (#138353 - in reply to #137482)
Subject: Re: New proposed livestock laws in Iowa

Humeston, IA
I assume we're discussing HF873? Maybe I missed it, but I didn't find anything in HF873 that said a CAFO would be shut down because a new house was built within the separation distance.

http://coolice.legis.state.ia.us/Cool-ICE/default.asp?Category=Bill...

Here's why I reference the Bureau (of which I'm a member due to health insurance): They tend to equate that the only way a young person can get into farming is if they work with livestock. OK, no problem, I agree with that. However, they further equate that in order to be successful, these young producers must mortgage themselves for a half million dollars to put up a contract finishing operation, of which they become the servant for the length of the contract. Furthermore, because these young folks are doing this, and they are worthy and good and above reproach, then all CAFOs are good, no matter who/what owns and operates them. Any disagreement with the above statements mean that you don't want to see young people in farming (according to them) and you're a wacko nutjob.

I totally agree that livestock need to be on our farms. I think we need more diversifed operations. I'm not against a guy deciding he wants to put up CAFOs behind his house. However, not all CAFOs are good, and not all operators are good, and because of that, they come under regulation. I'd rather not have regulations, but because of some bad apples, that's the way it ends up.

Thank guys like Jack DeCoster for this bill.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)