AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New proposed livestock laws in Iowa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

NEMOScott
Posted 4/18/2007 08:20 (#138743 - in reply to #138725)
Subject: Put it next to my house?

Callao, Missouri
Sure, I'd build one next to my house. But the county won't let me. Why? Because the site is too close to the neighbors house (they are just over 1/4 of a mile to the south west), and I have to have 1/4 of a mile seperation between the neighbors and the ground that I spread manure on. Soooo.....if I was to build a barn, it couldn't be at my place. It would have to be at another farm away from home (looks like I just became the greedy bto out to ruin the neighborhood).

I'm sorry BGunzy, but you have a misconception of what it takes for people like me to enter the industry. Do you live well (with things like air conditioning, electricity, a car....maybe cable tv)? What is your gross income compared to your net income?

Surprisingly enough, I'd like to have a few of those modern luxuries as well. Maybe not the ac or cable tv, but I would really like to be able to afford electricity. My net profit margin is somewhere between 5-10%, so in order to support the 30k that I somehow manage to burn in a year for utilities, student loans, health ins, etc I need to gross about 450k from my operation. $450k from a row crop operation is hard to come by when you are first starting out. Maybe I'm just the ugly kid in the neighborhood but no one has offered me my first thousand acres. Every acre that I farm now is little 18's, 10's, maybe an occasional 40. Although I am thankful for each and every one, my expenses are just as high (maybe higher) than an established operator. Livestock make up the difference for me.

I'm not a contract producer, but wouldn't have a problem being one. I bought a rental property to live in/rent out while in college and everyone thought that was great. But if I put another rental property (hog barn) on my land back home, everyone suddenly thinks that I'm out to ruin the world.

I used to buy and feed/background cattle to make most of my cash. I can't do that now under our local health ordinance. These were cattle that I owned, not someone elses.

Wake up people, they are after us all. As soon as they get done putting the livestock business to sleep, they are coming after corn and beans. "Those corn farmers use way too much petroleum fertilizer, and are irresponsible with their land. "

Does anyone here feel like they are irresponsible with their land? Probably not. Have I ever felt irresponsible with my land or livestock? No, I have not. I have always tried to do whats best for the land and the stock. Does any of that matter to groups like the ones we are dealing against now? I think we all know the answer to that one.

Scott
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)