AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New proposed livestock laws in Iowa
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

1206SWMO
Posted 4/20/2007 13:34 (#139914 - in reply to #139512)
Subject: Re: New proposed livestock laws in Iowa

The guy that bought the 640 acres south of him farms 6000 acres.He didnt want 20,000 sows a half mile south of him.Very few do.I can see where it goes both ways.The new guy that buys in close to where you want to put a hog barn or already have a barn can cause problems.

All that saves my BIL is that he has no debt.He has thought about getting out and getting a job as a carpenter.

All the problems in the hog industry were started in the 1990's by large outfits such as Murphy,Seaboard,Premium Standard.etc.Some of the things they did were stupid.In my area they let lagoons run over all the time.They had odor patrols and never smelled a thing!People that lived near them were throwing up from the smell.I was thru there and the smell was unreal.The Farm Bureau agent had to sell her farm and leave!She had about 20,000 sows 1/4th miles SW of her house.The smell was so bad that it would gag a maggot! The big outfits had political pull and used it to thumb their noses at people that lived close by.Murphy is pretty much hated by its closest neighbors.Lots have left in the past 15 years.The odor problem is much better now but the damage was done years ago.

Theres still plenty of lagoons in this area.Most are pumped out once-twice a year.Murphy is having some problems with their nursury barn owners.Lots have little or no hog experience and only got in to make a quick buck.They cant keep help at their sow farms.I'll bet 3000 people have worked at them in the past 15 years and they only employ 300 or so.

I'll take back the days when everyone owned their own hogs.There were no problems in this area back then.

Edited by 1206SWMO 4/20/2007 13:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)