AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bu. weight on corn revisited. This article was posted
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mikenesd
Posted 11/26/2009 08:35 (#938921 - in reply to #938830)
Subject: Re: Bu. weight on corn revisited. This article was posted

Clark SD
After last year when i found the article by Emerson Nafziger i have been testing his premis that test weight is not related to yield. I think he is right along with what Corn Guy is saying.
What i now do is when i pick some ears to check for moisture or yield estimates i count out 100 kernels and weigh them on a gram scale and with a little calculation will give you kernels per bushel(56 lbs.) which is related to kernel weight.
Last year there was a field that i checked that after checking the hand picked ear and testing them it came up with 49 lbs test weight and 75000 kernels per bu. corrected to 15.5% moisture.
The corn tested 34.45 % moisture so i was thinking that the test weight would go up if it was dried down to 15.5% so i stuck a sample in the microwave and dried it down. To my surprise it was still 49 lbs.
The kernels were very large looked like large flats. I think that is why the test weght was low because of the shape of the kernels there was too much space between the kernels in the test weight cup.
By the way this was our best yielding field last year.
Hope this helps.
Mike
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)