AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bu. weight on corn revisited. This article was posted
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 11/22/2009 08:16 (#933710 - in reply to #933558)
Subject: Re: Bu. weight on corn revisited. This article was posted

Chebanse, IL.....

KDD

I believe you're missing your own point. Yes, you can only harvest a specific # of kernels per acre. Let's assume of course, a perfect 100% clean harvest. I believe you were implying 200 bu (11,200#). If you had taken the immense amount of time to count each & ever ear (30-34,000?) off that acre & then count each & every kernel (6-800 per ear), you'd come up with a yield per acre expressed in the number of kernels. No weight measurement is yet used.

So, there you have those kernels. There are no more to be had. Now, I think we all agree that there are "light or heavy" (= density) of those kernels, commonly known a test weight. If those specific number of kernels from that acre (let's say 210,000,000 kernels for discussion) are "light" (= low t.w.), you are NOT going to have 11,200 lbs of corn (also at a given moisture....15%?), however if those kernels are dense (= hi t.w.), you are going to have more than 11,200 lbs of corn. Thence comes your yield of lbs/acre, which is actually the number of kernels per acre (clean sample) times the weight per kernel. However, even though our weight tickets & combine logs record lbs/acre, we most often convert it to bus for psychological reasons. Bushels is usually our final stop in the comparative process.

Am I not right? By the way, this is my own reasoning, can't blame anyone else.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)