AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bu. weight on corn revisited. This article was posted
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Maple Leaf
Posted 11/20/2009 09:59 (#931624 - in reply to #931253)
Subject: Re: Bu. weight on corn revisited. This article was posted

Test weight does affect yield whenever selling in volumes but everything is sold in weight. Whenever you deliver to an elevator or anywhere else, your truck is weighed on a scale and then weighed again when empty and they use the pounds to determine how much you had.

Also, calibrating a yield monitor in a combine is done by using a weigh wagon and I know my calibration factor changes as bushel weight changes and really the monitor is always reading 56 pound corn if calibrated correctly.

150 bushel per acre of 52 pound corn is equal to 139.29 bushels of 56 pound corn. Check it out both are 7800 pounds per acre which is all that matters.

Heavier test weight allows you to store more in bins, lowering your investment costs, it also stays more stable in the bin and fines are reduced as corn gets heavier.

I think we should all start talking about pounds, tonnes, metric tonnes or any other weight.

Final question, when filling your truck do you always put 1100-1200 bushels on even if bushel weight is 65+? If not, then you are working with weight already.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)