AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Does anyone farm with limited mechanical knowledge?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Granary
Posted 12/3/2022 16:32 (#9963445 - in reply to #9960372)
Subject: RE: Does anyone farm with limited mechanical knowledge?

Central Western VA Mountains
In my day job, I’m a hot shot engineer (as I jokingly refer to myself). I’ve been designing mechanical things (some with power and control) from scratch coming up on 37 years. I go out of my way to design things so they are easy to fab, assemble and service and right from the get-go. The last call I want is someone in manufacturing or field install telling me, “this won’t work” because then it’s to late, so I avoid it like the plague.

However - I am a lousy mechanic and carpenter. My Dad was a great carpenter - funny how from one generation to the next, people are different. OTOH, my Dad couldn’t start a 2 cycle motor with flooding it, but I can - my kids seem to take after my Dad!

I say all that to say this. Part of the reason I’m not a good mechanic is I don’t have the day to day FEEL and experience working on mechanical things. How to loosen or tighten a bolt without breaking or stripping it. I can spec a weld, but if I laid it down myself, it would be pitted and pitiful.

Sooo - I say, to the extent reasonable, do what you’re good at, get paid and pay someone to do what they’re good at.

IMHO, while it would be immensely helpful to be a crack mechanic on a farm, it’s not all together necessary - again within reason.

A few thoughts from a “hot shot” engineer/not very good mechanic.

YMMV...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)