AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Does anyone farm with limited mechanical knowledge?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

WCWI
Posted 12/1/2022 21:03 (#9960644 - in reply to #9960607)
Subject: RE: Does anyone farm with limited mechanical knowledge?

Many good replies, I have always figured that it is not necessary to be able to fix everything, engine overhaul or computer issues on new tractors one can/should be able to afford to hire someone every few years, on a small farm, but you need or should be able to maintain and repair most of your equipment yourself otherwise it is just too hard on the profits. Used to live next to a dealer, every year some guys would take the combine down or chopper down to have it set up for the next crop or gone thru, kind of always seemed like it would be hard on the bank account. Never fails to amaze me at the number of guys who will take tires to town to get them fixed, nothing too technical there and takes longer to drag them to town then to just fix them. I have done some engine work and clutches, actually usually dry clutches are not too hard, will tackle cylinders and steering motors, but did take the 6710 in to a small competent shop a few years ago when the head gasket started seeping, probably could have done it myself, but time was a factor and there were a few other little bugs in that tractor that someone more familiar with it then myself could clean up more efficiently then me and he also knew what else to check and replace better then I would.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)