AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Does anyone farm with limited mechanical knowledge?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tommyw-5088
Posted 12/2/2022 09:50 (#9961264 - in reply to #9961223)
Subject: RE: Does anyone farm with limited mechanical knowledge?

south Texas , York Rife Freemason

My grandad was not really good at complex mechanical things ,He came up farming behind mules . He had alot of tools though , he loved going to flea markets and getting a "deal".

I will say he could build anything out of scraps sitting around .

He kept the big tractor under warranty . Our trade ins were generally sold before they hit the lot .

Two of the most sucessful farmers i know are both real good mechanics . They dont touch a wrench . If the hired help cant fix it john deere comes out .

Its mot that they cant , its the fact they dont have time . they both also have a bunch of cows . They both have very nice shops . These guys have the stuff clean and in a shop when deere gets there .

I have worked on stuff for both of them quite a bit . Im about 1/4 price of what dealer charges and it gives me a little pocket change .

Id advise if you are not good , Find a fellow like me thats a small farmer . If hes competent let him do some of the repairs .

Id still be doing work for them , except i moved away . One of my long time friends i do make the drive to fix his stuff . Id guess with high diesel im not making much . Its more of a favor to him.

Gear wrench sells a plastic bot with sockets ,wrenches ,ect . it will have about what you need for basic stuff -if you want to tackle a few things . Also U -TUBE IS YOUR BEST FRIEND !

Edited by tommyw-5088 12/2/2022 10:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)