AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

More on Electric cars and trucks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Maxzillian
Posted 1/11/2019 12:54 (#7237591 - in reply to #7237525)
Subject: RE: More on Electric cars and trucks

To be fair I was initially replying to how I interpreted what the original poster was asking. Could I have interpreted that incorrectly? Absolutely!

Naturally you are absolutely right that the big picture needs to be looked at when purchasing a car and of course those numbers are hard to come by. At the moment all-electric cars are still too new to get a good gauge of battery performance, but hybrid vehicles seem to indicate that expecting a battery to last 200k should not be out of the question. The only trouble is most hybrids are using NiMh chemistry batteries while all electrics are going for Lithium to get the necessary capacity. As to how those compare to one another... I'm not entirely certain.

Personally, I think the up-front cost of electrics is still too high and pencil out just above something like a diesel car; only lacking the resale perks. Using my Cruze as an example I can expect to save about 5.2 cents per mile if I went electric which would pencil out to $5200 over 100k of driving. Of course there are additional savings in vehicle maintenance so let's say among that 100k is 10 oil changes at $50 a piece (about what it costs for me to change my oil). So napkin math shows about $6k of savings.

I think there's enough meat there that overall cost of an electric car is very nearly (not quite) break even over a comparable gas car. Depending on how much you care about emissions and your driving distances may sway your decision one way or another.

Personally my Cruze is paid off and only has 90k on it so I don't expect to shop for a replacement for another 7 years or so. By then I'm counting on electric cars being even cheaper and I fully expect my next car probably will be all electric as it fits into my daily driving and most of my weekend needs. No matter what we're always going to have a gas SUV due to what my wife wants so we're pretty well covered for long distances.

Edited by Maxzillian 1/11/2019 12:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)