AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

More on Electric cars and trucks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

The Pretender
Posted 1/11/2019 11:07 (#7237331 - in reply to #7236656)
Subject: RE: Just to add..

The Internet

Here anyway, most farms would have some quite beefy 3 phase power. That said, the power companies do charge stupid money to upgrade a line, you'd think it would be in their interest to do it at good rate to have people use more of their product.

All of the electric trains here have the power lines above the rail line with the train picking up the power with a pantograph. London Underground uses a live rail I think, so there's no need for batteries. The commuter line my girlfriend uses is electric and they even have regenerative braking on them now, so when they hit the brakes it puts power back into the line. I expect others do it too.

The diesel engine will still have a place, I really can't see it being replaced in haulage, agriculture or construction any time soon. I did hear 3rd hand that Fendt said if their 1050 went electric, the battery would need to weigh 50 tonnes, which is obviously a non starter. What's bound to happen is people that run 2 cars could easily have their second car as an electric car today. Then as battery techonology improves people like me that only run one car, do many local trips but still need range occasionaly will eventually switch to electric. Leaving diesels to do what they do best, ie, hard graft.

The future looks pretty good to me.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)