AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fall Tillage in MN
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Pfarms
Posted 10/24/2017 06:40 (#6324202 - in reply to #6323866)
Subject: Adapt, not Adopt

EC MN - Hour North of 'The Cities'
Kudos for trying something and testing it...gotta start somewhere. My grandfather and father worked with no-till back in the 1970s, but gave up due to weed control issues, if RR crops were available at that time, there might have been a chance that we would have stuck with the practice.

I won't argue your results on no-till beans...have seen the same thing here, but I can see things that we could have done to enhance our no-till production. Was this narrow row or 30" beans?

Now you'll have to decide if those results (along with past results) are just how it is going to be, or if you WANT to make the new practice work, what changes you will NEED to put in place. The way we grow our continuous strip till Corn-on-Corn is quite a bit different from how we grew our conventionally tilled Corn-on-Beans...fertility placement, timing, rate, equipment setup, hybrid choice, and other factors all need tweaking to dial it in.

Based on the wind overnight, I have a feeling that there were a few tons of topsoil that moved across a fence line in MN...going to be difficult to get that back if everybody keeps doing what they're doing.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)