AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Seed corn genetics heading in the right direction ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Posted 4/6/2010 22:31 (#1152828 - in reply to #1150476)
Subject: Re: Seed corn genetics heading in the right direction ?

Thanks Seth. I'd missed that entirely the first time.

I've seen what corn is capable of. When we bought our home in town in 1990, I had the opportunity a year later to purchase 5 adjoining lots that had been in red clover for more years than anyone could remember. At the time, I was an LG Dealer. Those lots were just exactly 1 acre. I didn't want to mow them so I thought why not put my corn and bean plot there ?

Being right in town, you can imagine how meticulous I was knowing my neighbors would see my mistakes every day. The corn and bean plot rows were only 80 or 85 feet long, with a grass strip down the middle with beans on one side and corn on the other. I can't tell you how much pleasure I got each summer evening walking through that plot sippin' on a glass of ice tea after a long day. It was beautiful and fun to watch.

Of course, being part of my yard, I kept every weed pulled and all the rows nice and even, except one. In one variety, I had a nice lookin' plant 24 inches from all the rest at the end. I left it. When the corn started puttin' shoots out, most all of them put multiple silks out, but this loan plant put silks out on far more. I got to payin' attention. While most all the other plants filled one or two ears, this single plant getting all the sun it could soak up, filled 5 ears and was witnessed by everyone attending my plot day that summer. (No, I didn't water it. And yes, it was a good crop year in general.)

I won't embarrass myself by publishing the plot results for many of you to scoff at, but I will say it's the only time I ever saw a seed company knock 27 to 40 bushels from every hybrid in the plot before they published it. I assumed they would trash it. The agronomist told me they used a formula to account for the "short row effect", but I never could get that formula. :) I just chalked it up to perfect rainfall and fabulous soil tilth after years in well maintained clover (of course the beans didn't like following the legumes. They were pretty common.)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)