AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building new house
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

fac
Posted 12/9/2014 12:08 (#4229351 - in reply to #4229242)
Subject: RE: Building new house

Central NC
I would do ranch over a basement and make sure that the doors/hall is at least 3' wide, as previously mentioned. If at all possible I would do a walkout basement.

My electrician ran an empty 2" conduit from the basement into the attic. I have already used that to add extra circuits and a sub panel over the carport. For the phone/cable/internet jacks he put a normal outlet box on the wall and then ran a 1/2" PVC pipe from the bottom of the box thru the subfloor so it was accessible from the basement. This makes it very easy to either run the initial wires or change the wires over time. I was able to do all of my own cable/phone/internet without having to fish wires thru the walls.

I did a carport since it never really gets cold here but obviously that is something that could change. In my mind the advantage of a carport is that it stays relatively clean and does not accumulate junk.

If you are on a wooded lot I would think very hard about doing no gutters and surrounding the building with 5 or 6 feet of concrete or brick for a splash pad. Just make sure it has a good slope away from the house. Every year as I fight to keep the gutters clean I wish that I would have done this...

I would also consider a metal roof. My roof is approaching 20 years old and I will probably come back with metal.

Hindsight being 20/20 another thing I wish that I had done on my current house is to setup the bathroom walls with re-enforced places to put grab rails around the bath, shower and toilet.

FWIW - Frank

Edited by fac 12/9/2014 14:35
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)