AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building new house
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

4WD
Posted 12/10/2014 08:51 (#4231058 - in reply to #4231004)
Subject: RE: Building new house

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

Pvafarm - 12/10/2014 08:22 I'm sure you've gotten plenty of advice already. If this is where you are going to stay till the end, like we planned when we built on the farm 10 years ago, think long term. Kids here were tots when we built and now are 13 and 15 and going to college tomorrow. Build for the family but plan on what it will be like the 40 years after they are gone - so don't build a house specifically family friendly since you will be in it much longer. Moderate sized. 1700 sq ft main floor here, basement mostly finished so about 3000 sq ft. total is plenty big in my mind. Think heat and air costs long run, taxes, etc on a big house. Use the expandable foam for the vapor barrier which seals all leaks and then fiberglass insulation behind that. Makes a tighter house. We didn't do that. Floor heat. Basement mandatory, wish we would have put it in upstairs too. With that said I would still put in a separate forced air system for air and heat if needed. Cheap running all the duct work when building. Geothermal? Probably a good idea if you can afford it. We live in a climate that supports that here, for you not sure? 36" wide doors. Everywhere. Be able to have one door for wheelchair access. One main floor. Look at open concept plans. Hallways are a waste of sq footage. Would have opened our house up even more. Location allow walkout basement? Both of our houses have had that - basement isn't really a basement then and makes the house even more livable. Make the attached garage 3 car size for 2 cars. Go 30' deep since trucks take lots of room and garbage cans/recycle bins take room in front too. Two garage doors, 12' wide. Keeps vehicles separate in garage. Again, we didn't quite do this. Garage is deep but one door. Insulate and sheet rock garage right away. You won't do it later.

Be there every damn day checking the contractors. They will screw stuff up more than you can imagine and don't pay for anything until you are satisfied that it's done to your specs.

This is one constant no matter where you live. Good Luck!

I have a story, about that.

My buddy was having a new home built, in Millard, NE about 28 years ago. (New subdivision) He put $5000 down. They started construction. He drove out almost everyday(taking photos), and his parents, came on the weekend to inspect. Well, the foundation and concrete block wall, for basement/garage was done; and they noticed loose blocks and uneven walls.  He took more photos, and he has one photo with his Dad, sliding out a concrete block, midway up the wall = hole.

He had construction stopped, and tried to get builder to tear down and repair problems = the contractor, say a sub-contractor did the work and they couldn't get them to redo it. They told my buddy they wouldn't give him back his money either. My buddy had to go to court, and once he started showing the judge, the photos, the look on the judge's face was priceless!

He judge said, give this guy back his money, and "build contract" was cancelled with that company. {Photos meant everything}

Later, 5 years had past, and that "Bad foundation" was still there, unbuilt, and all other houses were occupied. Can't believe the main contractor, didn't just tear it out, and start over, during those first 5 years, and "take the hit" on hiring a bad sub-contractor.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)