AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Building new house
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

jlohrenz
Posted 12/10/2014 11:33 (#4231364 - in reply to #4230813)
Subject: RE: Building new house

Geothermal if you can afford it. Most electric companies offer discounts or credits, and If I remember correctly there are tax credits too to help with the up front costs. Finished building my home about 2 years ago. Make your hallways a foot wider than code, makes moving furniture easier, and helps to future proof the home for when you are older. 36" doors into bedrooms is also nice.
Basement, if you do one, see if you can swing a pro-form basement. It's poured concrete walls with foam insulation on the inside and outside. Will keep it nice and warm down there all season.
9ft ceilings are nice, but can really add to the cost, as most pre-cut studs are designed for 8ft ceilings. I was going to do 9ft until I saw how much more it was going to cost.
Don't skimp on insulation. Will help with heating and cooling bill.
Don't skimp on windows or exterior doors. This ties in with the insulation factor.

If you decide to DIY, I can provide more tips/suggestions. I had a contractor frame up the house, do the outside (siding and roofing), do the drains and vents for plumbing, tape and sand the drywall, and install carpeting. Otherwise I hung drywall, did electrical, did hardwood and tile flooring, did insulating, on my own. Saved a ton of $$$ but it also took about a year and a half to get it ready for move in. Still have some finishing work to do (door, window, and base board trim).
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)