AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can you make these new vehicles not shut of when sitting at a stop light?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

DanR
Posted 5/15/2021 14:26 (#9006574 - in reply to #8993509)
Subject: RE: Can you make these new vehicles not shut of when sitting at a stop light?

SW Sask
I read this with a different perspective. To me, it translates to 1) GM and Honda have had some less-than-ideal engine designs. (hey, I used to own a Ford with a 5.4. It happens... That said, my 5.4 never caused me any significant trouble, 2) manufacturers try to get people to buy their products, and 3) you don't want to be forced to buy an electric vehicle.

My 5.4 Ford replaced a 1985 Dodge. It cost me more money to buy (duh). The Ford came with seating for 5. (well, the Dodge did too, but y'all had to be friendlier!). We could argue all day about power and torque. The numbers were better on the Ford, the "feel" on the Dodge (360, Rochester 4bbl) was better. But as much as I loved my Dodge for all those years... I don't know what tools I needed to rebuilt the alternator on the Ford. Did it probably5 times in 300,000 km on the Dodge, never had one off the Ford as of 230,000 km. On the Ford, the electric locks still worked. The intermittent wipers still worked. It had just started to leak (vs putting the first valve cover gaskets on the Dodge when I got it at 60,000 km). Ford got the same or better mileage, but as a crew cab, and with 4wd. etc, etc, etc.

I like old stuff that I can fix. But its a lot more enjoyable as a hobby than when you need to get it done to get to work. Failures on newer stuff tends to be "all or nothing", but I feel like there are lot more "nothing" days. So, while I admire the longevity of trucks from the 1950s, 1970s, etc, I would not go back. The price would still make us cringe, but if an automaker today put out a truck from the past, we would NEVER accept the noise, the cab leaks, the small cabs, the poor HVAC, etc, etc. We could live without a place to plug in a cell phone. But would we?
(and, to be perfectly clear, I'm currently in a 2019 F150 with a 5.0, because I'm not quite ready for EcoBoost, and I'm glad that I got one before the internal belt-driven oil pump and the cylinder deactivation. Oh, and guess what - this one has more power, better mileage, more interior comfort "stuff", and is quieter than the 2004.)

danr
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)