AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grocery stores limiting purchases
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

johnny skeptical
Posted 3/30/2020 07:37 (#8150997 - in reply to #8150563)
Subject: RE: Grocery stores limiting purchases

n.c.iowa

I have a sister that works at Walmart, has been there for 30 years. The general merchandise truck comes in at about 8 a.m., typically in the past the truck would get unloaded, and then right around 4 p.m. the evening shift would start stocking shelves.

this is the way it’s been for 30 years, they’ve got thirty years of seasonal patterns to guide them in what to order on their daily stock order.

now...the same truck comes everyday, they still get the same amount of product they got before( the only exception was that there was one part of one week about a month ago that paper product deliveries were alittle short, but that has since been rectified actually delivery volume has increased, paper product factories were running pretty much full out before this “crisis”) they have hired extra help to immediately restock the shelves straight off the truck(s).

for a week they were just putting the pallet(s) of toilet paper in the center of the store, they had to call the cops twice to break up fights and riots over toilet paper, the next week they were doling out toilet paper on a ask basis( pallet in the back out of sight sign on the shelf) this ended up keeping at least two people busy doling out toilet paper.  

The next week they decided to stock the shelves again and put up signs to state limits. Saturday my wife and I decided to stop in the store where my sister works, at 11:30 am the paper product shelves were bare, they were fully stocked at 8:30 am.....

now they are getting as much inventory as they were before, so what has changed?

law enforcement is almost called on a daily basis now, mostly to breakup fights and protect the workers, people taking stuff out of other peoples carts, people mad and attacking store personal for enforcing limits ( I mean really, what’s a 70 something year old gray hair gonna do with 60 rolls of toilet paper, probably won’t even live long enough to use it all).

the local Walmart adjusted it’s store hours to 7am to 10pm, one of the reasons they are not open overnight is because of security for their workers, several of the workers have been accosted in the parking lot coming and going from work.

my sister told me of a story from last week of a fellow who tried to get in at the same time the workers show up for work(6 am) and my sister denied him entrance because the store doesn’t open until 7 am. He physically became abusive and security was called to deal with it. Now the workers park in area that has a security presence at all times to safeguard them until they get in the store. 

this is in a small city of only 30,000 people.

Just because this is the first you’ve ever seen rationing doesn’t mean that it’s the first time in the history of our country that rationing has been employed. 

Lastly I stopped at one of the last small town grocery’s we have left in our area, asked the proprietor how things were going, his response was’ “same ol’ ,same ol’ I guess”, laughed alittle then I asked how the tp supply was getting along, more laughing, he said, “well I got as much as I ever had, in fact I don’t know if I’ve even sold a roll of it in about three or four days”.

Edited by johnny skeptical 3/30/2020 07:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)