AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone have examples of language needed for drainage work on Farm?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Scatterseed
Posted 12/8/2017 21:24 (#6415930 - in reply to #6411964)
Subject: RE: Anyone have examples of language needed for drainage work on Farm?

Iowa
On crop-share farms, we have found landlords willing to pay for the plastic if we install. Some may even help out with the install.

On cash-rent farms, we have found small improvements year-to-year at our expense (plastic and labor) demonstrate to owners our commitment to their farm. To date, we've not been disappointed and I really don't expect we will be. Owners have come to us with reasonable purchase offers if they decide to sell and we already know where the tile is and what's left to put in.

This assumes that mains and good outlets are already in place. We've only done one install on 18" main where we essentially split the cost to have a contractor install. We paid for it and the owner reduced rent for a three year term.

We have found a backhoe, tile-plow and cart to generate more ROI on our farm than any other piece of equipment or attachment. Nothing else even close that I can think of. It's an art as much as skill to perform, but it isn't rocket science.

I'd recommend doing it yourself with no strings attached. Just don't do it all once. You know the problem areas in the field. Design the system to target those areas first. With GPS marking all your lines as you install, you can come back next year and easily locate where you left off...

Good luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)