AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Could you live on the wages you pay?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 4/25/2012 11:37 (#2353183 - in reply to #2352269)
Subject: RE: Could you live on the wages you pay?

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
I did, not long ago. Not only did I survive, but I managed to save money. I didn't have a family like most of the co workers, but they weren't trying to save 50% of their pay either. I ended up with enough saved to buy a farm. All jobs I worked were hourly, need more money, just work more hours. I've seen very, very few times where anyone who was decent help and actually wanted to work, couldn't work extra hours.

People who are smart with money, are smart with money. Regardless of pay. Pay them $8/hour and they'll figure out how to survive on $7.

On the other hand, most people are bad with money. Pay them $15/hour and they'll say they need $16 to survive. (and pay off the boat, new pickup with 35" tires, big screen TV, etc.) Pay them $20/hour and they'll live like kings, and still be dead broke before payday.

I saw this a lot when I worked construction. At times we worked 100 hour weeks to meet a deadline, but most of the time 60 hours was a normal week. Very good pay, plus we got a per diem since we lived wherever the job was. I was living on the per diem, plus saving part of it, and saving my entire paycheck. Most of the guys I worked with made more than me, and were asking for a loan by payday. The more you gave them the more they spent. I honestly never could figure out how was even possible to actually spend that much money. Actually still have a pickup I ended up with as collateral on a loan, from a guy who was probably making $1500/week.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)