AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Don't know what I expect, just venting I guess!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

nwksmilo
Posted 4/25/2012 07:52 (#2352929 - in reply to #2351681)
Subject: Re: Don't know what I expect, just venting I guess!

Colby, KS
I think you said the key word here -- "mostly father son operations".

Think about it this way. Unlike other businesses, farming is not primarily personnel dependent. In most other businesses, every employee has the opportunity to bring in more income or save more money for the company. But farming isn't that way. Farming income is dependent on land, weather, and the efficient utilization of raw inputs. Since no general farm employee can directly affect the first two, all he can do is effect the utilization of inputs.

So, if a farm is not expanding, the only hiring they will be doing is low-end because every dollar paid out = extra cost. "Good paying farm jobs" (generally) will only come from large operation who are actively expanding because in that case, the new employees are directly enabling the expansion of income.

Specialized positions are different..... take farm mechanics and spray rig operators. This is something a lot of farmers hire done. So perhaps they can hire their own and no longer outsource it and save money. But then you aren't a general farm hand....you're a farm mechanic or spray rig operator and your pay will be determined by the market for those positions with non-farm firms.

For what it's worth, I figured my average net income the last 3 years down into 40 hour weeks and came up with <$25 per hour. Try to see it from the farmer's standpoint. If I'm making <$25, have 100% of the risk/stress, and have the advantage of a lifetime of experience, then what is an employee worth to me?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)