AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Don't know what I expect, just venting I guess!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

dieseler
Posted 4/24/2012 11:07 (#2351650)
Subject: Don't know what I expect, just venting I guess!

Southeast IN.

Why can’t farmers pay someone very well to work for them?  I have sent numerous resumes only to find that they are looking for someone to be able to do all tasks on the farm and be as dedicated as they are, which is what I want to, but they don’t want to pay for it.  Maybe it is just my area.  I am now 30 years old and all my life (I know short compared to some) all I have wanted to do is farm.  I have a really good paying job as a mechanic in the manufacturing industry but there is just no satisfaction there.  I help the locals in the busy season a lot after work and on weekends.  I usually just work for free because just being able to farm and run equipment is all I want.  One farmer in particular I help a lot.  I do most of the tillage which isn’t a lot, plant about all of the beans, run the combine and trucks, tender the sprayer, run anhydrous, haul and inject manure, work on equipment, whatever needs to be done that day.  I often times use my tractor and backhoe and bulldozer to do things for him that he doesn’t even ask me to do.  All of this is not really free to him.  He lets my use his equipment to plant my 22 notill acres.  I pay for all of the seed, fertilizer, herbicide, and other inputs.  I pay trucking and drying.  I am very happy with the deal. I don’t say this to get praise or a pat on the back from anyone, just to show how much I love to farm.  I would do it for free if I could make a living!  I have tried renting ground.  That is next to impossible around here and still wouldn’t be farming full time.  I really don’t want to own my own farm anyways, just farm full time and make a good living.  I guess I am just frustrated.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)