AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Don't know what I expect, just venting I guess!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Coastal
Posted 4/24/2012 19:04 (#2352012 - in reply to #2351650)
Subject: Re: Don't know what I expect, just venting I guess!

What is the cost of living up there in the North? I would say that around here the standard for most hired hands would be around $10-15 per hour if you employee them full time. Use to we would have a hard time finding people to work, but now with the economy like it is, there are a lot of guys willing to work for that 10-15/h. I had a neighbor call me up the other week while we were planting corn to ask if I had any work for three of his guys (electrical utility sub-contractors installing/maintaining street lights) since city politics delayed their materials for about two weeks. I gladly took on one as he worked with me while we were in high school, as I knew he could operate a tractor. The other two I wasn't too crazy about, but I figured they could do some little odd jobs. I paid the one on the tractor 13/hour and the other two 11.5, but after the first two days I gave them an extra 1.5/hour. Little did I know that I was already paying them more than their other employer. So like others have said, why pay more when you can the same job done for less. And for Cousinit, the mean household income for my county is only $55,000, so I would say a lot of people live comfortable on $33,000, especially if they enjoy there job.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)