AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are HP computers just slow????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

torn
Posted 5/22/2009 21:55 (#720802 - in reply to #720582)
Subject: RE: The problem as I see it . . .

roaming
Ed Boysun - 5/22/2009 09:38
There is one more easy thing a guy can do, to keep drive-by software from installing. The UAC built into Vista alerts a guy to pending changes, but most think they 'need' what's being offered, so they click on through. Again, this trick goes against human nature and doesn't get used as much as it needs to be but a guy should set up a user that does not have full administrative privileges on the system, and always login as him when you're surfing or using your computer for normal stuff. But . . . the ego kicks in and the user thinks: " I paid good money for this thing and by gosh I'm gonna drive with full admin privileges." Again, results are predictable.

In fairness to most Windows users (home users, not power users, sysops, etc.), in my experience there has never been a big push to use restricted accounts under Windows. This is a marked contrast to *nix systems, where running as root (under normal circumstances) is strongly discouraged. I would bet pretty good money that the average Windows user doesn't even know that there are various levels of user permissions, and even if they know the levels exist, they wouldn't know where to begin to configure the system properly to take advantage of the restrictions.

And UAC, in my opinion, does as much harm as good. It provides a false sense of security because users think that UAC will protect them. UAC is (should be) a very last line of defense, but instead users expect it to do the job of AV, firewalls, etc. If UAC is kicking in because of a malicious piece of software, there is already a problem, and just clicking "Don't allow" is not the cure. I read a very good article on this the other day; I'll have to see if I can find the link.

Edited by torn 5/22/2009 23:48
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)