AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Are HP computers just slow????
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

McCartman
Posted 5/21/2009 20:05 (#720067 - in reply to #720040)
Subject: Re: Are HP computers just slow????

First off - thank you for responding in a reasonable way. I thought that you were going to bust a vessel in your head up above! ;)

"We dont care if you like your Mac ........... I dont care if you dont like PC's."

Fine. I don't have an issue with that. However, there just might be others out there who ARE interested. Seems to me that you would like this board to be "PC/Windows" only. I do have an issue with that.

"As for Windows being automated .......... well, thats an entire new can of worms. most people dont even like the fact that Windows does updates automatically ................. most will for sure not like it doing other wonderful magical things without consent or knowledge it is happeneing. Most users like to maintaine at least the illusion of control over their own system, at the very least ... when and where it happens."

You are absolutely right - there are users who don't like their computer to do things without their knowledge. But I'm willing to bet that the percentage in minimal compared to those who would prefer that the system take care of itself. How many users, as a percentage, turn off auto updates? Now that you mention this, this could be a disadvantage of the Mac OS - users who don't want system maintenance happening without their knowledge can't turn the feature off - at least I don't think so. I've never looked into it to tell you the truth. On the other hand, I've not heard or read of any cases where the automatic system maintenance scripts have caused any issues with Macs either. And I do frequent a couple of websites that would report it if this were happening.

"If you would like, there is a task scheduler in Windows and has been for years"

Can you set it to clean the registry? Not being a smart-alec - I'm genuinely curious. I never used the task manager myself - I would defrag, run a spyware removal tool, etc on a regular basis manually, but I think most of my problems stemmed from the registry. I like to try stuff out - and delete the apps. This pollutes the registry rather quickly. I know there are utilities out there for registry maintenance, but that is one thing I could never bring myself to trust. In my opinion, that is THE best way to "brick" a computer - messing with the registry without knowing for sure what you are doing.

"You should be the one concerned about the increase of Mac's ....... the more of them in the public......... the better they seem as a target to malicious software and hackers"

Couldn't agree more! :) As much as I'd like to see Mac give Microsoft a real run for their money, it is a double edged sword. On the other side of the coin, I'd almost prefer for Mac OS to remain like it is - and not have to worry as much about the malicious crap. And yes, I do bring up the ever increasing Mac market share. Why? Well, readers who are in the same boat I was a couple of years ago - looking at having to upgrade, kind of intrigued by Macs, but skeptical, may look at the statistics and realize that there are others out there who have made the switch just fine. And I'll admit that I do like to turn your crank a bit. Let's face it - you are King of the Hill - and the whole concept of the game is to knock you off and claim it for myself, metaphorically speaking. However, you say it doesn't matter to you - but every time I bring it up you get bent out of shape. ;)

So there - we just had a reasonable exchange of opinions and ideas that others just might learn something from. I am still curious about your ideas about what may be wrong with JKneese's systems though. You and Ed were quite adamant that it is not related to the OS......

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)