AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What is your endgame?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ricksitzmann
Posted 7/27/2016 13:34 (#5435300 - in reply to #5435241)
Subject: RE: What is your endgame?

Iowa
My end game was always to have supported my family. But being on the back half of my career I've been trying to leave my children with a good addition to what they already have and keep their children going.

One of my son's is in your position. He never really wanted to farm full time and has a good job. More recently (last five years) he has started to get more involved; farming his own ground (I recently rented from him) and has a good chunk of cows. I think he needed this to escape from the stress of his FT job and give him something more fun to think about.

If this farming (hobby or part time gig) is a good stress reliever for you than it is also good for the family, for you to maybe be a bit more relaxed and fun to be around. Why give up family time? Bring one of the kids (rotation) with you when on the farm. Having a hard working father isn't a bad deal - dad not being around some cuz he's working is different than dad never being around cuz he's drunk or chasing women or just straight up gone. I taught my kids it's gonna be hard to ever really get anywhere in life if you work 8 to 5 or whatever - it's the extra hours before and after that really builds something....

Some of the best time I have spent with my kids and grandkids is when we are "working". Yesterday while working on equipment the grandsons were telling jokes and movie lines while working. I was laughing so hard I couldn't hold a wrench but the boys kept working...I guess what I'm saying is don't let work be work bring the kids have some fun. When things go wrong just fix them don't get frustrated.

A another big reason my son wanted to start back farming part time was that his son wants to farm and so I feel like he is paving the way for him to do so.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)