AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trying to Understand the thinking behind this
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 3/24/2015 04:13 (#4473269 - in reply to #4473146)
Subject: RE: Trying to Understand the thinking behind this

Fishguts2 - 3/23/2015 22:38

Maybe its YOU that should look in a mirror and realize YOU jacked up your land costs in YOUR speculative frenzy

There were years when we had high prices and good yields in this area that I had some fields where my net return was well above $200 per acre. In an area where everyone makes a living on big acres and low margins per acre it was easy to argue that you were short changing the landlord if you didn't bid more for land. It was also easy to justify bidding more for land because if you didn't, you also didn't get the land, simple as that.

I guess I don't see anything wrong with competing for ground by raising your bids when times are good. I also see nothing wrong with competing to survive while times are not as good by doing everything you can to reduce your cost structure.

Seems like there are guys who are worked up about their neighbors who were willing to pay too much and there are guys who are worked up about their neighbors who are trying to cut costs.

There is a season for everything. If you go against the market you're preparing for the wrong season and you're going to get hammered. This is the free market (or something that kinda resembles it although the government does meddle quite a bit). Time to just do what makes sense for the season. Before that meant bidding hard. Now that means pulling in the reigns.

If you weren't pushing hard in the good times, you were going backwards relative to the guy that was. If you're not pulling the reigns in during the bad times, you'll go backwards compared to the guy that does.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)