AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Garvo, and other feeders what are your thoughts on this article....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

clicker
Posted 11/13/2012 14:16 (#2695018 - in reply to #2694943)
Subject: RE: Garvo, and other feeders what are your thoughts on this article....

Southern IA
feeder calves are already priced according to their value, if you got a load of hereford calves with a history of grading choice+ and prime and do it with good feed efficiency and no health issues they will bring the same as the black hided steers, You need to talk to your breed organization about aligning the breeding goals with feedlot peformance. Herefords are known in the feeding world for being frail, prolapsing, and select carcasses. I'm sure I'll get bashed to pieces for saying that, but that is the general consensus on load lots of cattle in the feedlot world. I know there are real production hereford ranches who do sell their steers at or above angus because they got a proven track record of performance and grade and will outperform alot of black pens, so it isn't impossible, but it is a breed organization issue that hereford needs to deal with if they are to overcome their current lag in the feeder world. Don't blame buyers and feedlots, they will pay exactly what they are worth.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)