AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Garvo, and other feeders what are your thoughts on this article....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

clicker
Posted 11/13/2012 16:14 (#2695123 - in reply to #2695091)
Subject: RE: Garvo, and other feeders what are your thoughts on this article....

Southern IA
you apparently did not read my whole post, I never said every hereford is frail and prone to prolapsing or has poor feedlot performance, but the perception the industry has is that if they buy a load of herefords and a load of blacks, the blacks will outperform the herefords in performance and on the rail. I don't know how much more of a level playing field you want than an auction sales environment for feeder calves. A whole room of buyers getting the opportunity to bid to their maximum perceived value of what is in the pen is about as level as you get. There are some very stout herefords out there with performance to go along, but you got to go pretty west of the Missisippi river to find them, and they are few and far between. Maybe your hereford herd will set the new standard for how herefords perform and change everybody's perspective. As near as I know the only thing different at the packer level is the CAB premium which can be zero at times and is not enough that it is bid into the price of feeders, so I would like to know how you think there is an unlevel playing field at the packer. They grade them and pay accordingly, and if a pen of cattle is more likely to grade choice or prime, the feedlot is more likely to pay the going rate for them, as selects will hurt you a lot at the northern packers.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)