AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Garvo, and other feeders what are your thoughts on this article....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Howdyjabo
Posted 11/13/2012 17:06 (#2695175 - in reply to #2695110)
Subject: Re: Garvo, and other feeders what are your thoughts on this article....

NC
If you have colored calves you need to feed them out and sell them on the rail. Or send them somewhere to be fed so that you can build a reputation(good or bad).
When I am buying calves to resell, its got to be black or BWF or I am shooting myself in the foot.

When someone is buying and knows nothing about the cattle but what they see- the blacks are potentially worth more(eligible for CAB), so they are bid up higher.
Buyers especially with short numbers, will bid the value of the calves. They are not dumb, they know what they can pay for what to maximize returns.

And I know there are some good Herefords out there-- but we have been burnt with bad ones, and they are easy to identify by sight, -- so they are discounted . Don't blame me, blame the people breeding sub-par stock thats easily recognized as a particular breed.

There is a guy here that has a rainbow herd and uses a black bull. He sells all his black heifers , keeps the colored ones and buys every good looking colored one(or eared) he can get bought right, Hes got a Great cow herd that produces mostly black calves for a whole lot less investment.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)