AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Garvo, and other feeders what are your thoughts on this article....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

clicker
Posted 11/13/2012 21:27 (#2695778 - in reply to #2695603)
Subject: RE: Garvo, and other feeders what are your thoughts on this article....

Southern IA
Jim - 11/13/2012 19:27

I would hope that as calf numbers get shorter that buyers will bid more on merits of the calves rather than just across the board discounts for hide color. Herefords and I suspect Hereford crosses, have some traits which really lend themselves to lower input production systems.

If buyers are able to do this they just might find they are pleasantly surprised and have a larger pool of calves to choose from.  In some areas bwf or rwf calves are starting to get the same bids as blacks.

Thanks for the thoughtful post.

Jim 

You're still missing the point. Good reputation is earned, not given. Just because we get short on feeder calves doesn't mean inferior cattle all the sudden are worth the equivalent of reputation calves, they will still be discounted until they prove they have overcome the ills of their past, and based on what I see going through the barns representing the hereford breed, there is still a lot of work to do. And yes, there are a few hereford breeders who have paid their dues and proven they can perform, yield and grade with the best of them.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)