AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trying to Understand the thinking behind this
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Tara Farms
Posted 3/23/2015 21:32 (#4472986)
Subject: Trying to Understand the thinking behind this

Red River Valley
The last Week or so it seems this board has been graced with a good number of post that seem to advocate either cutting inputs on production or idling acres in order to bring down production. for the 2015 crop in order to get the price to rise to a level that these posters deem as adequate to meet their cost structure.

Now I'm not saying they are wrong in what they are advocating for but I truly don't understand why were so many so afraid of pushing back on land rents that were to high but now seem so forgiving of those that say let's farm it on the cheap.

As one of those that took his chance on offering lower rents ( and the risk of losing ground ) why would I want to handcuff myself with substandard production practices just for the hope of higher prices that will only encourage more overseas production ???

If one was in the camp that they should idle some acres ( 5 or 10% summer fallowed ) as has been preached by some here why then not have went to your land lord and requested a rent that was more in line with todays economics ?? If you lost some ground what was it going to hurt you are preaching non production on some ground anyway ??

Lastly some on here preached early on that no-how, no-way would they plant __________ (enter crop here ) at these low prices they would switch to sorghum, milo, sunflowers, edible beans,or Flax only to now come back and say well can't do that don't have Ins. coverage. and now all of the rest of you boys have to plant what I don't want to plant so that I can make some money. Well Charlie all I can say is ( taken from a comic show in the 80's Homey Clause don't play dat game.

I have taken my shot and gotten a cost structure I can live with and a marketing Plan that works for me and I will go for Max Production because just like the Saudi's it is my intention to keep my market share and stop the overseas production before it leaves this countries heartland in the mess the last bust cycle did.

I'm sure this will not be a well received post but that's OK and I'm sure to get flamed on it but just need someone to explain to me why those that have taken chances to get cost under control would want to ad more risk by using substandard farming practices ??
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)