AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Keto diet
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

BigNorsk
Posted 4/5/2020 08:59 (#8166075 - in reply to #8163966)
Subject: RE: Keto diet

Rolla, ND
Few things.

People get keto flubsometimes at start. Mostly that is losing salt as your insulin level drops and the water retention drops.

So drinking a nice cup of bullion works well if you experience it.

The water loss is pooh poohed by many but it is exactly why the doc sticks you on a diuretic. Thing is a keto diet is more effective than the front line diuretics and you will see a very fast initial weight loss as water along with a blood pressure drop and if you are seriously high in insulin, your ankles will shrink.

Carbs kill keto. Now most of us can eat fiber and it doesn’t bother blood sugar nor for many the keto, but while my blood sugar doesn’t move, I quit losing weight if I eat much high fiber vegetables. This happens to others as well.

Alcohol acts similarly for many a gin and tonic won’t change your blood sugar but it may knock you out of keto.

Too much protein knocks you out of keto.

Straight meat, especially the low fat pork and chicken isn’t a keto diet. Need to keep protein under 30%. Eat about 1.5 grams/kilogram to start of protein. That is based on what you would ideally weigh. You can eat less protein but will tend to lose more muscle.

An egg is perfect, 30%protein, 70% fat. No carbs.

If you are hungry and don’t know what to do eat a couple eggs.

A hamburger butter diet is easy to do whether for a meal or for awhile until you figure it all out. Cook some hamburger, add a generous helping of butter and eat.

Don’t bother counting calories. Eat when hungry, don’t eat when not. Learn difference between hunger and carbohydrate craving. Your hungwill drop significantly. Many go to two meals because why eat breakfast when you aren’t hungry?

You may struggle with energy as you transition. After all you haven’t been burning fat for awhile so your body needs time to rewire.

Some of the inexpensive keto strips can help guide you in the beginning. After a month or two, you will quit peeing ketones so they don’t work then.

You can do finger pricks and test blood. That’s accurate, strips aren’t cheap but neither are the effects of that much weight.

There are also breath meters, more expensive up front but don’t cost to use. Not as accurate as the blood, but not bad.

Eat carbs grt fat, eat fat lose weight seems counterintuitive, but it is the effect on hormones that controls. And that’s why you don’t count calories, you change your hormones so you will go to a lower body weight. It is not eat all you can, just eat so you aren’t hungry. That was the strangest part for me. I was always hungry, eating usually made me hungrier. People say isn;t keto hard, I can’t say it is easy, but it is easier than the constant fight with food I had before.

It’s not a temporary diet unless you want to get the weight back, it’s a life change.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)