AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trump Proposes 33% Cut in Crop Insurance
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Kooiker
Posted 2/13/2018 22:16 (#6576417 - in reply to #6576396)
Subject: RE: Go ahead, But The oil industry needs to take a 33 percent cut as well

Clay SEIA - 2/13/2018 22:05

Kooiker, honestly if we'd just had a little more rain there they could have been 57 bpa beans or better instead of 27 bpa.  That spot missed every single chance at a storm that went north or south of it by a couple miles.  It's a great example of why crop insurance can be valuable, and also one why it's incredibly stupid to have to rent land with Uncle Sam as a primary competitor.

Is that sandy ground or eroded clay?

We have sandy/gravely ground here that pending rainfall can yield anywhere from 10-200 bu on corn and 5-70 bu on beans.

It just can't go long between rain, its always 2 weeks from burning up, even if it just rained 4".    On that ground beans are usually more forgiving/able to hang on longer before they give up the ghost.  This fall my dad was riding in the combine with me while I was combing bean on one of those farms.   He asked how they were as we were going through an area where the beans were about 12" tall, I told him "the short beans are a lot better than they look and the tall beans (~36" on the better ground in the bottoms) aren't near as good as they look".     The short beans were ~40 bpa and the tall beans were ~50 bpa with 3x the amount of straw.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)