AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Radiator Stop Leak
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Lookingglass
Posted 12/13/2017 16:04 (#6426684 - in reply to #6426162)
Subject: RE: Are all Iowa farmers like the one I've just dealt with?

Southwest Illinois
I had a $18,000 planter for sale 2 years ago. Had some interest but no takers. a week after the ad hit a guy from Kentucky calls and wants a couple more pics and after seeing them offered me $12,000. I said no. Next day calls back and asks if I would take $15,000. At that point we agreed on $16,000. Says he will send me a check for $500 to hold it since he had to get transportation lined up. A week goes by, no check. Call the guy. He asks if I can get the planter to a local dealer with a dock to load it on. My closest dealer is 5 miles away so no big deal. I tell him no check has been sent and he says he will send another. 5 days later he calls and asks if I can take the tongue out of the planter once I get it to said dealer. I reluctantly tell him yes and again tell him no check has arrived. He gives me his bankers phone number and tells me to call him which I said was not my job. Says he really wants the planter. During this time I had about 5 or so calls on it and I tell the guys it is sold. So he says he is sending me a check for $1,000. I Wait, call-no answer, wait, call-no answer. Finally a neighbor calls me about the planter and I tell him the story about the previous 3 weeks. I tell him to come look at it and he does. He says he'll give me $17,000 and he writes me a check. About 5 days later my buddy from Kentucky calls and I proceed to tell him I waited for 3 plus weeks and he didn't come through on anything he promised and that I had sold it. He goes nuts and starts threatening law suits, etc. I finally hung up on him. So 3 days later I get a check in the mail for $500. The check was dated about the time he first called me, but the post mark was from after I had sold it to my neighbor. I sent the check back certified return receipt mail.

So the moral of the story is cash is king. I don't expect anyone to hold anything for me. If I look at something I will call them and tell them I will be there in so many hours and I would appreciate them not selling it until I get there. But that is usually a matter of hours. I would return that same favor to a buyer. But honestly, if someone called and said they were coming in 3 days and a buyer showed up tomorrow I would have no problem selling it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)