AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Carter grain embargo
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 12/20/2013 20:43 (#3534693 - in reply to #3534658)
Subject: Alasdair Macleod addresses interest rates

Pittsburg, Kansas

Here is something I suspected but Rickards did not address that I noticed.

Alasdair Macleod Joining the dots

Here is a key quote:

"When a central bank holds interest rates below their natural market level, it stands there to provide however much liquidity is required to keep the rate suppressed. This in practice is the result of a number of factors including overall demand for money, and on the supply side changes in the quantity of narrow money, bank credit expansion and required reserves. QE is one form of this liquidity, and the extent to which QE is reduced must be compensated for by other means if interest rates are going to be kept at the target level. (my emphasis)

This simple fact makes changes in QE meaningless in the broader monetary context, and on this vital point the Fed keeps silent. Instead it attempts to offset the deflationary implications of tapering by increasing its commitment to zero interest rate policy (ZIRP) and for longer. We are left wondering how long it will be before this contradiction is generally understood. Furthermore, those that link QE to prospective prices for gold and silver are ignoring the commitment to interest rates and are effectively pushing a one-sided argument."

John

Edited by John Burns 12/20/2013 20:44
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)