AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Problems working with dad
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

1000 moline
Posted 6/24/2012 23:30 (#2448174 - in reply to #2444312)
Subject: Re: Problems working with dad

South Eastern ,ILL
First of all I'm a dad(57). I worked out 2 years before coming back to the farm. When my son was very small I could see he would probably want to farm, so as time went on
I rented and bought land to make room for him some day. As my dad aged he took a lesser role until he finally said" I won't be down any more to help, I'm wore out" so
I hired help along with my wife and continued to proceed on. My son went to college and agreed to work out 2 years before coming back to the farm. Current day:He is (33) has
been farming with me for ten years, we share dad to day responsiblities, and have one empolyee. I have the final say on most issues, but give him a lot of slack. We
each have our own land ,rented and owned, plus we rent some land together on a 50/50 basis.We run two planters ,two combines in beans, and he does all the spraying.
I shell all the corn, he runs the dryer and unloads. He keeps his own books and I do mine. He and our helper do 80% of the mechanic work, I handle a lot of the land owner
contacts,Marketing ,and paper work. We all share in the trucking of grain. We still have a difference in opinion from time to time, but usually work it out. His son is now seven,
I want to hang in there, take a lesser role when in my late 60's, so if he wants to replace me ,he can.... Now IMO ,, sounds like your dad needs to lighten up a little, someday
he will, one way or the other.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)