AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Problems working with dad
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

WeaveFarmer
Posted 6/24/2012 19:52 (#2447542 - in reply to #2447193)
Subject: Re: Problems working with dad

Boone Co. Iowa
I've been back working with my father for 6-7 years now....We have basically switched roles from when I first came back, and I went through same adjustment that you did. And, I'd worked off-farm for two different organizations, three different types of bosses, which was great experience.

I've found that there is a lot more "grey" areas and just accepted it and tried to be a much better communicator. Let your dad know what your plans are as much as you can, as often as you can. Let him know you are paying attention to things, and make suggestions for work based on what you are seeing in the fields, weather reports, resources you have, etc. etc. Don't wait around and ask "what do you want me to do today?" Be proactive and make SUGGESTIONS about what you were thinking about doing, and why (I usually mention the WHY first (that farm is drier, that ground is drier, that farm got 3/10ths less rain, etc.) and I was thinking of running the irrigation there. Basically, let him know you are paying attention and have good ideas about how to farm.

And, don't let his "orders" upset you. Everyone has patterns and it is hard to change, even when you are intentionally trying to. Best advice, be patient and SHOW your father you have been paying attention to what he's been trying to teach you all these years! :) It will happen slower than both you and he want, but learn from your mistakes and try to talk about farming with him as much as you can. Give a lot of evidence that you've been considering what to do that day/week/month, and even if he doesn't agree, he will notice that you are paying attention and developing as a farmer. Best of luck. I had a few frustrating days, but the opportunity to work with family and be my own boss is about the most rewarding thing I can imagine (alongside wonderful wife and 4 month old daughter!).
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)