AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Problems working with dad
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 6/23/2012 08:54 (#2444945 - in reply to #2444876)
Subject: Re: Problems working with dad

West Union, Illinois

Borgman05 - ... I just nod and smile and wait til he leaves to do them differently.
one of the toughest things to learn is patience and a sense of humor. 

Something I noticed was I could mention something and it would not work.  For instance, when I was in college I worked for some guys who chisel plowed everything.  We moldboard plowed all our corn and chisel plowed all our beans stubble.  I mentioned chiseling cornstalks.  Absolutely not, would not work, bad idea.  Within a year Dad had this new idea to try and within 3 years we were running a Glencoe Soil Saver on almost all our corn stalks.

This was a pattern I saw over and over again.  I learned to understand the philosophy "You can accomplish geat things if you don't care who gets the credit."

Dad was Gramp's only son as well as being a strong willed person.  One of his favorite phrases, and one we learned to hate, was "You can do what you want, but if it were me..."  It also helped us develop the philosophy of choosing our battles.  If we felt strongly enough about something we pursued it.  But we didn't fight each and every skirmish.

This also helped when I was in my "off farm employment phase".  I got a reputation.  I was the one who got the customers everyone else had trouble dealing with.  If they were an ***hole they were mine.  I'm not saying Dad was, far from it.  But by learning how to be in a business relatinship with Dad I learned how to deal with others with a differing viewpoint.

Where am I going with my rambling? You need to decide if you want to work for Dad, with Dad, for someone else, or for yourself. Those 4 ... well, you could be a total bum and waste of good air and be a drain on society but we'll ignore that choice ... are all you have to choose from. In reality there are only 2, but there are the minor variations.  Decide which one is your goal and work toward it.  It may require a different path to get there.  It may require education, it may require servitude, it may require a lot of things.  It is going to require some hard choices.

edit:OK, most typos corrected

Edited by Mike SE IL 6/23/2012 08:56
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)