AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Problems working with dad
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

farnerbob
Posted 6/23/2012 10:07 (#2445079 - in reply to #2444312)
Subject: RE: Problems working with dad

Heavy Ground, I feel your pain exactly....... It has been a struggle working with Dad as long as I have been on the farm, high school years, part time during collage and now full time on the farm. I thought over time he would phase out and let me take more of a leadership role. We even talked about it when I came back to the farm, that by his mid to late 60's he would slow up and move away from the farm on a day to day basis. Somewhere along the way he forgot about that conversation and agreement!!!!!!!!!! I swear it is harder than ever, he threatens to take away the ground I rent from him about 3-5 times a year. He usually throws in a "you don't love me" tirade about every other month. If I am not at the farm in the morning I get phone calls until I answer, usually I am trying to rent ground, or parts runs, or trying to do my own thing. My Dad gets totally irate when he doesn't have complete control over my farming (and personal) business. I think it is his way of staying relevant.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling, but Heavy Ground you are not alone in having trouble with your Dad on the farm. I guess my only suggestion is to try to beak him of some of his bad habits and try to find a middle ground where you both can work on the farm. I finally got to the point I just don't go to the farm as much when my Dad is there. I will scout the crops more, look at the cattle more, anything but hanging out at the shop if Dad is there.

I agree this time of year there seems to be more arguments on the farm.

Finally, I think your Dad is having a hard time giving up control, and he thinks you are one thing he can control.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)