AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Problems working with dad
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Bin owner
Posted 6/24/2012 13:04 (#2446911 - in reply to #2444312)
Subject: RE: Problems working with dad

Southwest Iowa

When I graduated college I went to work in my families farming operation.  The operation included my grandfather and several of my dad's brothers and sisters.  In public they all said they were happy to have me come back, in private it was a different matter.  My father and grandfather wer easy to get along with and didn't mind trying new things.  Within a year of my grandpa passing my uncles and aunts had made it clear to my father and I that we were no longer welcome.  They would question everything we did as if we were trying to run the company into the ground.  I finally got sick of it and sat down with my father and asked if he was seeing the same things I was.  The answer was yes.  At that point we both decided that life was too short to keep putting up with this kind of treatment.  I had some good connections and landed a job that turned out to be better than I ever imagined and am now part of the management team (also much better income--good employees that care are hard to find).  I would not go back for a million dollars.

I did not believe in working for someone else when I left college, but now believe that everyone should for awhile.  It has certainly opened up my point of view on many different things.  For instance, we have a short meeting each morning to determine if anything needs immediate attention, if not we go on doing our normal things.  Once a week we get together for 30 minutes and discuss what we need to focus on for the week, month, and year.  Just keeps everyone knowing what is going on and what each other are thinking and doesn't take that much time.  All of these take cooperation from everyone.

Don't know if any of this is helping, but if you decide that working for someone else may be in your future, know that it will not be the end of the world.  It may just be the best move you ever make.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)