AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

autosteer - good investment or not
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ndred
Posted 9/10/2010 10:30 (#1354065 - in reply to #1354015)
Subject: RE: autosteer - good investment or not

s nd
I think it has to depend on the type of operation and the cash flow of the farm. More so needed in no-til or ridge-til than conventional tillage. Is the cost going to rob from some other place that needed it more. If you're young and just starting out, maybe just too soon to afford it. I did, and you can too, do all the things these units do. The only thing I inherited from my dad was the ability to drive straight with a marker down. Even up the hills, if you pay attention to the drift. Put two tarp straps on two drill rows of six inch spacing and made my sprayer mark. You don't need auto steer to spray thirty inch rows, but it's nice. I have auto steer and I'm tired every night I go in, but doing it alone will do that to a guy with four crops.(my age doesn't help) If it's better spent on a better planter or dryer or something that gives you problems, I would spend it there. I know you guys are cussing at me, but sometimes we don't get to start with the good stuff. I bought a used combine seven years ago with mapping, that is a good investment, but that not may be an option, either. Tiled a bunch of ground to make it better, that's a good investment, but takes alot of money. If you need a new washing machine in the house, or something your wife needs, that's always a good investment. Agcountry has money for less than four and a half percent interest, maybe that would help in affording it. I got it when I was forty nine, so I thought I could afford it even if I could do all these thing by myself. It's nice, no doubt about it, but every operation has to decide if it gets to run the easy way or the hard way at times. Good luck in your decision, there's no wrong answer.

ps. I am excited, though. I read an ad where I could save twenty five percent in fuel savings, so I bought four units.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)