AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

autosteer - good investment or not
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

cotman
Posted 9/10/2010 08:12 (#1353855 - in reply to #1353743)
Subject: RE: autosteer - good investment or not

NW Tennessee

I put AS on one tractor and swath control on one planter last spring and hope to get AS on the other 8420 before next planting season, but with this sorry crop, it may have to be put on the back burner. I really like it and it sure helps with fatigue as others have said and there is some savings in overlap with tillage. But, IMO and using my experience running it compared to before I had it, I'm not sure it will actually pay for itself. The real savings came with the swath control on the planter when planting these high priced cotton and corn seed. I have very few square fields without point rows on at least one side and it really helps there. And if I am farming next year, and I sure plan to be, I will have swath control on my sprayer. So, will probably add AS while I am at it. No doubt in my mind it will pay for itself and in a very short time.

One other thing, others have talked about planting with SF 1. I don't know if it's just my area, but there is no way I could plant or bed with anything less than SF 2 when planting corn or cotton on 38" rows. With 15" beans or a drill, probably wouldn't make much difference.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)