AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calving order - heifers first or cows first?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

MU1979
Posted 3/3/2010 13:50 (#1103131 - in reply to #1102593)
Subject: Re: Calving order - heifers first or cows first?

Missouri
Bottom line is heifers are a pain in the butt. Start March 1st to get little better weather and mentally warmed up. We brand them before they go out to spring grass with her first calf and that earns her some respect. Have been scolded for admitting that we will keep a young cow that looses a calf, (Will also graft calves back to a heifer) Selection pressure can be heavy early and not end up with poor mothers you all accept will happen. Also don't mind saying, we baby our first calf heifers separate pastures, little grain during summer and early wean the calves which are obvious by the only white ear tagged calves, give them some TLC as lots of work have been given to them to not breed back as a 3 year old. I think the rules changed on selection when we moved from calving 3 year olds to 2 year olds. Lost our normal calving pasture to 10 inches of snow pack and cold temperatures since Feb 15, 109 mature cows calving heavy, in good timber and hay beds with very good survival rate given the conditions. Off Farm jobs and age of producer, is normal today and results in significant adjustments to accommodate. Ben/Pharo offers some very good theory of calving with nature and low inputs. They should not be dismissed and have a place as a management system. Otherwise, there is a reason the beef industry has not corporatized at the cow calf level. It may get done via purchasing organizations, but they will not provide the labor un till after weaning. The only person that will not loose animals in this business is the guy that does not have any. Jim, I hate that you had bad luck with the crossbred, was going to tease you about them, glad didn't, just bad luck, have a better day. Thawing out here fast, and mud is my worst enemy, least with cold weather, not 10 inches of snow can drive to my problems. Could not even use the 4 wheeler it has been challenging to say the least. It will be a valuable tool from here out with the mud. Like the sign says Buisness Hours subject to change during calving season. I get paid to get that number over 90% that is how I keep from having a day job.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)