AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calving order - heifers first or cows first?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 3/3/2010 21:52 (#1103881 - in reply to #1102227)
Subject: RE: Calving order - heifers first or cows first?

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Thanks everyone for all the ideas and discussion.

As I said somewhere on here in an earlier thread, my basic target is to calve them all at 30 days prior to greenup/put on pasture date which is about May 1 in SW WI. So my preferred calving date is about April 1.

These two BWF were going to be sold so bred earlier then I changed my mind.

Personally I dont think the weather had anything to do with this calf's dying. He was just not fed by the heifer. He was a very nice red/white face good size bull calf. She had no problem w birth or cleanup. He was in a good dry place. She just had no interest in him at first. My good neighbor said he should have brought his dog over earlier to spur the heifers protective instincts...

I have had a fair number of heifers calve on their own with me not there. This is the first calving problem I've had. Yes I probably could have penned them together and saved the calf. But in the end it is more clear to me that in my situation I don't want to chance spending another year on her ($600.?) when others don't require this type of leeway.

After looking over situation today I am more convinced this is heifers fault, not mine. If I give her another $600 year she may turn out to be a good mother next time or she may not. She is more saleable for beef as a 23 mo old now than as a 3 yr old next year. Especially with 3 weeks or so grazing standing corn as she will start tomorrow. jmho.

Thanks to all.

Jim at Dawn 

Edited by Jim 3/3/2010 21:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)