AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calving order - heifers first or cows first?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Ben
Posted 3/3/2010 04:05 (#1102539 - in reply to #1102227)
Subject: RE: Calving order - heifers first or cows first?

North Mo.
On the mothering ability I am unable to see other cows showing mothering ability to a heifer. It is just bred in, sorry to say this but feel the Hereford as a breed is not the most inspired mother going.
For sure calving with nature might have helped. Another thing on a low input system like mine, calve heifers last for the reason they will get more nutrition before they calve because afterwards it is extremely hard to up condition. This does not apply to your method of operation, I put that in for info only.
Like a guy once told me, he was a vet he lost several calves in a snow storm because he was at work, another reason to calve with nature I didn't see the benefits back in those years. His reasoning was the job paid for the cows not the other way around. Do your cows pay for your living, doubt it. I know it hurts but sell her and go on.

I just reread your post, read it first on my nightly pee break. If guy says she claimed the calf and such not really the cows fault. I would note this in your records and go again next year. It used to seem the bigger the calf the more clumsy the calf, on this place. These smaller calves we are having now seem much more survival prone. Ben

Edited by Ben 3/3/2010 08:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)